Saturday, May 26, 2012

Chickens & a Duck (that thinks he is a chicken)

So for the last few months Logan has been really good about keeping a few chickens for his animal science class, and now that school is out we get to take care of them here. There are 4 chicks, 9 teenager chickens (I don't know the exact term for half grown chicken), and one black duck. They are a lot of fun but they are not very smart the older chickens and the duck live out side in their FFA blue chicken coop and they have a hard time remembering to go inside the covered part when it is dark or raining, like it has been the last week. Our duck who was originally named Hermin was renamed by Logan's students. It was rather in appropriate so I won't repeat it, but that is not our biggest problem with our duck. The problem is that he believes himself to be a chicken. He always lays down because he doesn't like being taller than them. He also does not "quack" he chirps like the chickens, and as you can see in the pictures it is not because he is a baby, he is full grown and refuses to quack. He can swim but he hates it, he jumps right out or makes very upset sounding chirps. It is very funny. So unlike most people have their cats or dogs or cuddly animals the love them, I get a whole bunch of chickens that hate me, smell awful, and I get to eat in a few months. Someday my husband will let me have a dog. I'm close to letting me have a bum lamb, and he promises he got me a pregnant rabbit (I have yet to see said rabbit or any cute babies). So all wish me luck with my awful pets, and pray I get cuddlier ones someday. 

 This is the duck and chicks just a week or two old.
 These are our chicks now.
 The duck is only standing so he could run away from me.


 See they have stairs that lead right to the warm sheltered part.
 This is the warm closed interior that they refuse to go into. There are stairs and there is  fresh saw dust, They just hate it for some reason.

Yes that is what sits in the middle of my lawn (fortunately it is in the back yard). Logan plans on moving it every couple days so that they have new grass and bugs to eat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment